Friday, October 28, 2011

Beating Homesickness

So let's talk college.
It seems appropriate. I mean New school, New life, New friends, New blog.
Well I'm currently sitting in the study room on the Fourth Floor of Brentano--a.k.a B-4--because Dimi (my new best friend who will probably be mentioned a handful of times later down the road) is on the phone with her mother.
She was supposed to go out tonight for a change of scenery and food (actual non-cardboard-tasting food) when a sudden overwhelming dose of homesickness hit.
I don't consider myself an expert at reading emotion but when she came into the room I could see tear streaks on her face and she was holding back another round of tears. I felt helpless. I didn't know what to do except give her a giant best friend type hug.
But...now that I'm sitting by myself in a small concrete walled room...well it's starting to hit me too. I miss my family. I miss my mother, my father, my sisters, and even my kitty.
I've been here approximately three months--a lifetime for me. The longest I have ever gone without my family is three weeks when I went to stay with my aunt and uncle in Pennsylvania one summer.
So instead of wallowing in sadness all night I decided to think of ways to overcome homesickness.
Results:
1. Tea
While that initial dose of depression hits boil some water add a chamomile tea bag let seep for three waves of sobbing add a teaspoon of honey and let the steam and warmth melt away the feeling of isolation.
2. Food
I'm not encouraging you to eat your emotions. Instead think of your favorite home-cooked meal and head to the store. Fix it up because hey you deserve a little motherly touch to dinner.
3. Friends
Invite friends over so you are alone. Having people around will remind you that you do have people that love you and are here for you.
(This step may be applied to Step 2. Having people over for dinner will make the night more enjoyable. I recommend asking each person to cook their favorite home-cooked dish and share with each other)
4. Hot Water Bottle
Yes. Go out and buy one if you don't already have one. Besides being great for relieving pains such as a headache or cramps, it also can act as a comforter. Snuggle up next to one of these loving pockets of warmth and all night long you will feel loved.
Four easy steps. I'm not the kind of person who like complexity so four is all you need (Believe me I've tested it out on more than one occasion).
Just remember that Christmas Break is only seven weeks away. A blink of an eye. Or at least it's nice to think so. All I have to do, and Dimi as well, is hold on until Christmas Break and then I can sidle on into the loving hugs I know I will receive from my family when I see them at the airport on December 15.

No comments:

Post a Comment