Wednesday, December 12, 2012

My last day at hope


Where do I even begin. Well I didn't even want to get out of bed because that would mean that I had to accept the fact that I had to go say goodbye to the children I have loved and who have become part of my life over the past two months. So after dragging my behind out from under the covers I headed to project where, after being gone for a few days, the children bombarded me with hugs and yelled "Brecklen! Brecklen!" (Yes they finally learned how to say my name properly). They were taking their final exams today so I stayed out in the play yard with the kids who had finished. Basically for my last day I got to play outside in the African sun on the red Kenyan dirt with the children who have changed my life. Towards the end I lined them all up and started to pass out the sweets I brought. But once the kids realized what I had the line was pointless. They all swarmed around me and I had to pass them out at random. When the time came for the kids to go home the ones I had really gotten attached to all jumped on me and gave me a million hugs and kisses an asked me not to go. My heart nearly broke. It wasn't until I got into the van to drive away and the children all lined up in the road to wave goodbye did I really lose it. For as long as I live I will not be able to forget those children or my experience here in Kenya. I'm very grateful for my time here because I was impacted more than words can say

No comments:

Post a Comment