Wednesday, December 12, 2012

So day 2 Paris


Luckily one of my roommates said she wanted to see the Eiffel Tower so I jumped up and said I was going (at that time) tomorrow if she wanted to join. (Yay for not having to wonder through the metro alone!
We started off by walking to Le Gare du Nord and after walking around trying to find the correct train we finally got to Charles de Gaule Etoile (another station) and we exited onto the street and BAM! there was l'Arc de Triomphe right there. Glory day! But everything was roped off and there was absolutely nobody on the street. Turns out the president was planning on making his way down Champs Elysées. My lucky day. So we continued to walk down the street and ogle at the shops until we mad a turn off the main road and found a very quaint street with adorable shops to enjoy (of course they were definitely still out of my price range). After wandering around hoping to get lost in the little connecting streets, we happened to come back across the Place de la Concorde. So, crossing the extremely busy street, we turned left and decide to check out Le Louvre. Don't you just hate when you chance to come across famous cultural sites unexpectedly? After checking that out for a while (no we didn't go inside; that's my plan for tomorrow) we strolled across the river and on a whim decided to go visit Notre Dame. That is sooo much bigger than it appears. And being me I couldn't help but take off my ankle bracelet so I could ring the bells at Notre Dame. And you better believe I sang the song too. Ok the next for adventure we decided to finally go find Le Tour Eiffel. La da da walking walking walking. Oh hello Hôtel des Invalides. No big deal. Oh an the Eiffel Tower in the background? It's only natural. At last we arrived at our original destination--the Eiffel Tower. Holy guacamole is that thing tall. A lot taller than I had imagined it would be. Well I wanted to go to the top but my roommate--being afraid of heights--opted out. Exiting the elevator at the very tippy top (or at least as high as you're allowed to go) even I was thinking holy cow I'm going to get blown off the edge. Yes technically it is impossible because they have you fenced in but...that's just my dramatic self. The view though. Breath taking. You can see forever without end. The only thing that comes close is the Empire State Building but a skyscrapers got in the way. The ride down in the elevator was a ride back down to reality. A cold reality. I couldn't find my roommate. She was nowhere in sight and after an hour of waiting at our meeting point I accepted that she had probably left. But I wasn't about to leave. The sun had set and it was starting to get darker with each passing moment--lights time! I stayed and watched the light show and took a million photos. Eventually I decided to walk back home because I was turning into a Popsicle. So, I grabbed a train to Notre Dame and from there the train back to Le Gare du Nord. Thankfully when I opened the door to my room my roommate was there sleeping. At least she made it back. What a memorable thanksgiving it was. Top of my list!

No comments:

Post a Comment