Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Day 14 (No you didn't miss any)


15/10/2012
I haven’t written in quite a while but I have had nothing to write about. The power has been scarce and it have been raining for three days straight. When you think about Africa don’t you think dry, thirsty land? I did. And that’s what I packed for. Reality is, however, that I came during the shorter of the two rain seasons. And I decided to leave my rain boots back in Colorado--smart choice. Today we get new volunteers! I”m pretty excited about that. I”m currently at Hope alone and it’s os overwhelming. ALL the kids want my attention and I’m not THAT good at multi-tasking. David is waring an Abercrombie sweater today and it makes me want to throw up. I used to be the biggest Abercrombie snob ever; I wouldn’t be caught dead in a thrift store just ask my mother. How stuck up and backwards I was. Now, one sweater--about 48 dollars let’s say--pays for a year of school for four children or four years of schooling for one child. And now I get to see that same logo I knew so well being scuffed up, thrown in the mud, tugged on, sewn back together, and ripped all over again. David doesn’t know the story of where his sweater comes from just as Abercrombie doesn’t know where its sweater is now. But it’s the juxtaposition of these two worlds not this cold African rain that has me shuddering.

No comments:

Post a Comment