Thursday, October 18, 2012

Day 17

18/10/2012

The children hate when I get dirty. Of course it's unavoidable but every time they see a smudge on my skirt the rush over and wipe it off. I personally don't mind. I mean that's why I came to Kenya in the first place; to get right into the thick of things.

Today was so great! The coordinators from the Tanzania project are visiting (they are supposed to take over the coordination here starting in 2013) and it was their day to come visit Hope. Of course I was instantly jealous because having lived in Africa for a while now, they have picked up Swahili. Enough to actually communicate with the kids. I can get the basic word here and there but I can't instruct them on how to play a new game or listen to why they are crying and offer comforting words. But I am determined to get there! Charity offered to record some phrases for me so I can learn them and hopefully use them with the children.

It was sunny again today which I see as an absolute blessing. My dad will tell you in a heartbeat that rain follows me and I'm beginning to think he's right. Either way, today we got to run around and play in the sun all afternoon and the children were in such a good mood because of it.

Does anyone remember nap time? When you'd come in off the playground all hot and tired and the teacher would offer you a drink and then you could just kind of relax and slip off into dream land? And if you're my sister you sleep well past wake up time.

I got to participate! I'm talking about how my 19 year old self came in off the playground and Mary told the children it was nap time and then found a bunched up scarf to use as a pillow and I my sweatshirt and we took naps for 45 minutes. To sum it up, it was glorious.

The children. Oh the children. They are so happy. I want to say despite where they come from but that's me comparing their lives to mine back in the states. To them this is life and it's so rich. I can honestly say that I've never seen a group of children more full of smiles and laughter. It lifts my spirits when I get to step out of the van and hear all of them shouting, "Breckren" and reaching through the fence. God has blessed me so.

2 comments:

  1. Wow...what a difference a day makes! You sound so much better today! These stories of your little children make me GRIN! I also grin at the ants....you're not in Colorado are you? :) What I was hoping for is a monkey to come sit on your blankie with you and you could name it Judy...like on that old TV show Doc Tari...and teach it sign language. (Hope Judy A. doesn't take offense!) I love the way you are trusting in God...even in the mishaps. It is so easy to feel abused, and so difficult to turn our hurts over to God to use. Yet, you have somehow found a way to do just that. Wow. God will honor you, and he will answer you. Here's the song we sang on Sunday: "God will answer you in your time of great need. He will help you from his sanctuary. He will remember your sacrifices, he will give you your heart's desire, he will make you victorious, we will shout for joy we will praise the Lord. Some trust in chariots and some trust in horses, but we put our trust in the name of the Lord. We rise us and stand firm while enemies falter, for we put our trust in the name of the Lord." http://www.enduringword.com/commentaries/19020.htm I'm so proud of you. Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another member of your Prayer Support Team thanked me today for sending along the updates from you. It is really heartwarming to have so many loving you and praying for you and for the little children you are working with. I know you are God's channel of love and grace to those precious little ones. Just hold up your hands to receive all that God has to give you to give to all you are in contact with. I love you!

    ReplyDelete