Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Day 4


5/10/2012
Today was our first day helping to rebuild the school. When we first got there, we were told to help move the sticks and pick up the rubbish. Easy. I’ve been doing that all summer landscaping with Dad. Let me tell you what. That rubbish was probably the most disgusting task I’ve ever been given. And all we got was a potato sack to put it in for disposal. No gloves. I’m talking decaying underwear, shoes, glass bottles with liquid in them, and much much worse. After working on that task for about an hour and a half, we got to work inside. The ceilings needed to be painted so me, with my painting expertise (hey, I remodeled my room a few times), volunteered to do that job. We got to use the handmade ladder that were completed just that morning. Sketchy. The had a tripod stance and rungs up one side. AND we had to stand on the top rung in order to reach the ceiling properly. Yes it was extremely wobbly. The next task was to sand the ceiling of the next room so it could be painted later. This time we got to use scaffolding. I’m talking a metal frame with the door of the classroom laid across the top. I’m pretty sure to props we made in The Theatre were more stable. In the end we all went home covered in dust, dirt, and sweat with a feeling of accomplishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment